Hello. I’m Michael. I am a developer, currently based in Glasgow in Scotland. I currently work for STV as a web developer. At the moment, I do most of my web work in PHP, though I also write a fair amount of C and Java — mainly for Android.
You can email me at
michael at this domain. I’m also on
Twitter. I can sometimes also be found on Freenode
IRC, with the nick
mgdm. If you’re especially lucky, I might be found on air
I am currently involved in a few open source projects:
- PHP — I am an occasional committer to PHP itself, when I find something I want to fix.
- PECL/Cairo — I am one of the lead developers of this project, which wraps the Cairo graphics library for use with PHP. I’ve done a fair bit of work on various parts of it.
- Pango for PHP — I wrote most of this wrapper for the Pango text layout library for PHP.
- aprsmap — I have written the odd patch for aprsmap, which is an APRS data viewer for Linux-like machines.
- When I can, I go sailing. I have previously done a lot with Falmadair and An Sulaire, to the point where I managed to get a Coastal Skipper shore-based qualification, and a Day Skipper practical.
- Photography — you can see some of the results on Flickr.
- I tried to learn Scottish Gaelic, but I’m so out of practice it’s not funny.
- And finally, I try to play the trumpet and the guitar.